Thursday 21 July 2011

Last of the Moro and the Marrow

Coming to the end of my time with the Moro book, sadly, I could happily just stick with this book but then I wouldn't be doing what I originally intended......really can't decide what to move onto, got Gordon Ramsay's aptly titled self fulfilling prophesy book 'Just Desserts' in front of me but don't think I could do a week of puddings; and Heston's 'In Search of Perfection' but I really don't have that much time!! May go for Maddhur Jaffrey's 'World Vegetarian' or possibly Sophie Grigson's 'Organic' next, we shall see.

For lunch today was looking to use up some fridge leftovers, so with the rest of the marrow, Greek yoghurt  and half a bunch of mint I made the delicious 'Courgette and Yoghurt Soup'. What's nice about this for me is that you finish it with a swirl of caremelised butter, which is unsalted butter, gently heated until the solid bits start to turn brown and take on a nutty flavour. And the marrow is gone for another year.

Courgette (or Marrow) and Yoghurt Soup
Caramelise 50g unsalted butter as above. Put aside in a little jug or ramekin. Whisk 400g Greek Yoghurt (I actually used half Total, and half regular plain yoghurt, and it worked really well) with and egg and 1/2 tablespoon of plain flour or cornflour. Degorge 1.5kg sliced marrow or courgette, this means tossing in a little salt, putting in a colander, and allowing to drain for about ten minutes. Rinse and pat dry with kitchen paper. Saute in 50g more butter, 2 sliced garlic cloves and 1 tblsp chopped fresh mint for about half an hour until really soft. Squish up with a fork, stir in the yoghurt and 750ml chicken or vegetable stock, simmer for a few minutes to cook the flour. Season well, stir in another tablespoon of mint and swirl over the browned butter. Moro finish with a little bit of dried chilli flakes and more mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment