Thursday 4 August 2011

Parsnips in the Summer


So the next book from my bookshelf is 'Organic' by Sophie Grigson. It's about ten years old and was co-written with her then hubbie William Black. Half the book is about organic farming and food and is quite interesting. The rest of the book is a selection of recipes that they feel highlight the best of organic produce but of course they can be made with non-organic ingredients but don't tell Sophie.

I had some Glamorgan sausages in the freezer, and as they are made with potato I didn't want a potato accompaniment  but was fancying something sausage and mash-ey, so thought the Spiced Parsnip and Cashew Gratin would fit the bill nicely. I wasn't sure if I could get parsnips in August but there they were, really nice sweet young English ones, so apparently you can!

Sophie peels, cores and slices parsnips thickly, and boils in salted water until just done. I added sweet potato in equal quantities because I fancied them and thought it might make the dish a bit more summery. Then she sautes an onion in oil and butter until soft, and adds a teaspoon each of mustard seeds, fennel seeds and two of cumin, and cooks until the seeds start to sizzle. I didn't use fennel seeds (as I didn't have any) but added a little turmeric instead. Sophie put the boiled vegetables into a gratin dish, and layers the onion mixture on that. I thought it might be nicer to mix the onion through the vegetables.
Its then topped with the cashews, breadcrumbs and grated cheese and baked or grilled. We ate this with a green salad and the sausages. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment