Wednesday 14 September 2011

More fun with Sophie

(

Its been a while since I posted but I have still been cooking my through Sophie's book when I get a chance: I had a lovely break in Yorkshire during which we reverted back to the Moro book for a few days while I cooked some of my favourites for my friend Sara and our children, and a lovely time we had too.

Over the last few weeks I have been dipping into 'Organic' anytime I am thinking 'hmm what shall we have for lunch, or supper': rather than just making something up I am using the book for ideas. Flicking through one afternoon I came across a recipe for gnocchi, 'Gnocchi with mushroom and sage ragout', and I thought I would have a go as I haven't made gnocchi since college! fun and easier than you might think. And so much more lovely than those nasty supermarket ones you can bounce. Really nice sauce too.

Gnocchi with Mushroom and Sage Ragout

1.5kg baking potatoes
1 egg
250g plain flour plus extra
seasoning and grated nutmeg

225g Chestnut mushrooms quartered
1 onion
3 tblsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic chopped
small bunch sage shredded
1 400g can tomatoes
1 tblsp tomato puree
tsp caster sugar ( recipe states a tablespoon but I think this is too much)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
(15g dried soaked porcini mushrooms- I didn't add these but i'm sure it would add to the intensity)

The recipe advises to boil the potatoes in skins but I favour baking them till soft in the oven and then scooping out the fluffy insides: makes for a drier and easier to handle gnocchi mixture). Weigh out 1kg fluffy potato, push through a sieve or ricer and add the rest of the gnocchi ingredients and work into a soft warm dough. Cover with a tea towel.

Now break off tennis sized balls of dough, roll into a sausage with your hands, to thumb thickness, and cut into 2.5cm pieces. The next bit is the fun bit and takes some practice.....hold a fork facing underside of the prongs facing up towards you, tips on the work surface. Roll the gnocchi up this to get the characteristic marks, and put on a floured baking sheet. When they are all done, cover again and make your sauce.

Soften the porcini in warm water for half an hour if using. Fry onion in oil till soft, add the mushrooms (and the chopped porcini, reserving the liquor) and fry till tender: add the rest of the ingredients and the mushroom juice if you have it being careful not to pour in any grit, and simmer for half an hour.

Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, and carefully poach the gnocchi a few at a time till they bob to the surface, removing with a slotted spoon and placing in an oiled baking dish. When done, top with the ragout, and a handful of grated Parmesan,  and bake in a hot over for 15 to 20 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment